Monday 14 April 2008

A Necessary End - Peter Robinson


I read A Necessary End last week. I had never read anything by Peter Robinson before, but I bought this book because it was part of an offer. I usually like crime stories, and it is always nice to discover a different author, so I had high hopes of this book. I found it hard going at first, but gradually I became interested in the plot and wanted to read on. I thought it was a very male book, the characters were somewhat stereotyped and not especially attractive, but the plot did have edge and the outcome mattered more than I expected. The novel clearly evoked the world of about 20 years ago, there was a grubby and brutal but very recognisable aspect to the plot. It is a book that leaves you asking who was really the victim? I don't think Peter Robinson will become one of my favourite authors, but I will certainly read more of his books.

No comments: